Tuesday, June 5, 2012

How to Backcomb

Backcombing is quite simple.  Grab the hair that you want to backcomb.  With a comb (I use flea combs because the metal bristles are stronger than plastic) start brushing backwards, starting at the root and working your way down to the ends.  DONT start at the end of the hair and brush up.  You dont want the ends to be combed up to the roots.  This will create a total mess of chunky dreads.  Keep the strokes short.  After you have done this, palm roll and repeat until the dread is tight.

Note: backcombing is great for fat dreadlocks, but will result in the loss of length.  If you are looking to keep your length, refer to my post on how to crochet. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I just found your blog via a google search, and I've read all the posts.

    It's brilliant that someone (else) is writing so much positive about dreads and trying to dispel myths! I'm currently in the process of writing some articles for a friends website. This blog is really good!

    Although I disagree with some things.. crochet, dreads being high maint, palm rolling etc, but I can totally understand the logic and reasoning behind it all.

    My dreads are just over 3 and a half years now, done by backcombing.. no wax, no crochet, no palm rolling, no rubber bands, no tightening gel etc. They've turned out alright! But I'm biased ;)

    You've also highlighed some good points.. shrinkage from backcombing, flakies, the itiches.. All good stuff.

    I'm ganna go comment on individual posts instead of dumping it all here...!

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Derry, thanks for the great comments!!!! Dreadlocks truly are a personal experience. Each head has its own story. My posts do not at all speak for the entire dreadlock community so I really appreciate your personal opinions and comments.

    Sunny

    ReplyDelete