Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How to separate hair for dreadlocks

Any type of small rubber band will do the trick.  When starting dreadlocks. I like to divide the hair by its part.  I've found that guys usually like their part in the middle.  My part is on the right side.  Once the hair is divided, I rubber band half a head at a time.  Tie one side up for later.  Start from the nape of the neck and work your wait toward the forehead.  With a pencil or blunt end of crochet needle, draw a line in the hair to make your first layer of dreadlocks.  Some people like to divide by triangles, others like squares.  I tend to stick with squares.  Section of your first dreadlock and tie with a rubber band.  Make sure the rubber band is tight but be sure not to pull the scalp too much (this will cause headaches later).  You may need to go through and put new rubber bands in after about a month, as they will become soft, loose, and slip down away from the roots.

I have also been experimenting with using embroidery string instead of rubber bands (After the original rubber bands were cut out).  I wrap about a foot of embroidery around the base of the dread and tie it nice and tight.  So far they have been working really well, and don't slip down as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment