Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Take on Dread Wax

Dread wax can either be a success, or a total mess.  I personally do not like using wax.  Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

  • Can help tighten dreads faster (if used properly)
  • Will condition dreadlocks without taking them apart
  • Keeps fly hairs in place
Cons:
  • Messy; the wax can get on your face, neck, ears and back and can be very uncomfortable
  • If not used properly, can do more damage than good
  • If too much is twisted in, it can flake

How to use wax: Its better to put in too little, rather than too much.  Damage happens when too much is twisted in. Collect some wax between your thumb and index finger and rub it down the entirety of the dreadlock.  Palm roll after.

You can also use dread wax in only parts of a dreadlock.  Say theres a section of a dreadlock that is a little frizzy.  Rub a little wax in and palm role.  Some people use wax only at the roots or tips.  

If you can find wax at the store,  I say it's worth trying.  It works well for some people.  I simply don't like it because I can't stand getting the wax on my face and neck.





No comments:

Post a Comment